We are happy to let you know that the amendments to Korea’s Animal Protection Law (APL) were passed on June 29th, 2011. This law goes into effect March 1st, 2012.
The following amendments were included in the new APL:
1. The central government shall establish and enforce a comprehensive animal welfare committee every 5 years and local governments shall cooperate with the enforcement of the committee.
2. The national animal welfare committee shall be set up under the Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries (MIFAFF).
3. Humane methods shall be employed for the transportation of animals.
4. Animal protection committees shall be set up in animal shelters by the MIFAFF.
5. Animal shelters shall employ humane euthanasia methods.
6. Animal testings shall go through deliberations with ethic committees.
7. The MIFAFF will be able to hold farms accountable to animal welfare standards set by the MIFAFF.
8. The MIFAFF shall survey animal welfare conditions and make an official report every year.
9. Punishment for violations of these laws has been increased from 5 million KRW or six months jail time to 10 million KRW or one year jail time.
This is a great day for Korean animals.